Work-life balance is the method of segregating one’s work-life from personal life in such a way that neither overpowers the other. Maintaining an optimum work-life balance is not only imperative for overall health and relationships but also enhances employees’ productivity and performance.
Businesses that have developed a reputation for facilitating work-life balance have become increasingly appealing – particularly when it is about attracting and retaining Generation Y employees and baby boomers.
Here are some tips to improve work-life balance:
● Periodic vacations – Vacations are no more leisure activities, but a necessity. A break from work not only offers one an opportunity to switch off and enjoy but also allows one to refresh and recharge.
It increases employee productivity and enhances focus upon returning to work. Several studies have reported that vacations enhance company performance and reduce the psychological distress of employees.
● Encourage short breaks – It is important to encourage brief breaks throughout the workday. Staring at a bright screen for hours on end can affect one’s health and mental well-being. Light work-outs, walk meet-ups outside the office, and coffee breaks should be introduced.
Some leading companies also take the help of medical practitioners to help calm and relax their employees. All such measures promote team performance, productivity, and workplace happiness.
● Seek employee opinions – If the employees at the workplace are struggling to strike a balance, it is suggested to find ways to improve the situation. By collaborating with team members, insights into their thinking patterns can be obtained.
And companies can work together on strategies effectively in the future. Thus, implementing the recommended changes can overcome the situation and help in achieving the required work-life balance.
● Flexible work hours – Offering employees flexible work time as per their suitability with proper reasoning instead of a rigid 9 to 5 can help in acquiring work-life balance.
● Remote working – If a specific task or job can be done remotely, giving employees that option can help in acquiring an efficient work-life balance.
● Personal time – The companies should allow employees to take personal time off when deemed necessary. However, definitely under observation to ensure it is not misused or is affecting workplace productivity.
Companies should be flexible and willing to reform the workplace culture if it is not conducive for the employees. How employees define the significance of work-life balance tends to change continually. Thus, companies should be constantly prepared to find ways for an appropriate work-life balance to keep productivity up and ensure employee delight.
Because a happy workplace is one that offers a healthy work-life balance!